Hot on the heals of Tourism Thunder Bay's presence at the 2009 Regional Career Fair, we're going to open up the Blog to help post any tourism job opportunities that exist out on the landscape. Ontario Parks has a great opportunity for a summer marketing student this year.
Ontario Parks - Marketing and NHE Assistant (Park Ranger) 2009
Summer Experience Position # SEP_N43542
Start Date: TBD (approx. 7-14 weeks TBD)
· Candidates must meet SEP general and age program eligibility requirements.
· Based out of the Northwest Zone office of Ontario Parks under the general supervision of Zone Manager and working with the NW Zone Marketing /NHE Specialist.
· 8 hours per day, 40.00 hours per week, $9.50/hr
· You may be required to wear an Ontario Parks uniform (will be supplied as required). You will be required to maintain a neat and clean appearance at all time. Hair colour must be natural and jewellery must be tasteful and appropriate. Proper office attire is required.
· Should safety work boots (green patch) be required – this is the responsibility of the employee to provide.
Duties Will Include:
As a member of the Ontario Parks Northwest Zone team, under the general supervision of the Zone Manager you will provide assistance to the Marketing/NHE Specialist in undertaking marketing and Natural Heritage Education projects. The position will require office work, day field trips and possibly overnight, extended field trips in the outdoors i.e. camping.
Background knowledge and related experience with Ontario Parks, parks, tourism, marketing, special events planning and delivery, resource management and outdoor recreation or related
· Knowledge of tourism and recreation industry, visitor demographics and research techniques
· Knowledge of natural sciences (i.e. flora, fauna, geology), ecosystems and cultural history of the Northwest Region and parks
· Knowledge of, and ability to use personal computers including word-processing, record-keeping, Internet and electronic mail software applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, other, photographic software)
· Good presentation, leadership, organizational, interpersonal, computer skills and oral and written communication skills. Data entry and statistical analysis skills. Research and report writing skills.
· Working knowledge in camping, orienteering and practices/techniques of outdoor living. Outdoor skills and work experience preferred. Hiking, backpacking, canoe tripping, kayaking, camping and wilderness trip planning skills an asset.
· Valid Class "G" Driver’s License an asset. Valid First Aid Certificate an asset.
· Ability to lift materials and supplies up to approximately 40 lbs.
· Ability to work independently and part of a team follow and carry out instructions.
· Ability to work flexible hours, shifts, and weekends and in inclement weather (rain, bugs).
· Working knowledge of the Occupational Health and Safety Act and those regulations made under the Act that applies to the workplace and the work being performed.
For more information contact:
Barb Rees, Natural Heritage Education/Marketing Specialist
Ontario Parks - Northwest Zone at 807-475-1482.
Resumes can be emailed to Barb.Rees@Ontario.ca no later then 1 p.m. on Wed. May 27, 2009
Please indicate: Marketing/NHE Assistant Position in Subject line of email.