After almost a year of planning, 25000 entries and the launch of one of the most aggressive leisure marketing campaigns ever undertaken in Northwestern Ontario, The winners of Seven Days with the Giant arrived in Thunder Bay on August 23rd to begin their Great Ontario Outdoor Adventure of a lifetime.
Anna and Ulinda Persaud, Godfry Rodney and Dale Nascimento of Mississauga were selected from the thousands of entries and while Anna will be joining the group late, Godfry and Dale have been enjoying a spectacular time in the city and in Sleeping Giant Park.
Midway through their adventure, they have already experienced the warm hospitality of the Valhalla Inn, A great little fuel efficient SUV from Enterprise, an afternoon at Fort William Historical Park, a remarkable float plane tour of the city and the Sleeping Giant, camping, canoeing and hiking around the park, tea at the Silver Islet Store, great local foods from the Thunder Bay Farmer's Market and the company of famed adventurers Gary and Joanie McGuffin who are teaching them to use their new Nikon cameras.
Later this week, they will be taking a sail charter with SailSuperior.com, enjoying Eagle Canyon Adventures, dinner at the Caribou and a friday spent exploring Thunder Bay's attractions, galleries, eateries and before heading home.
Tourism Thunder Bay wants to take this opportunity to list and thank all of the sponsors that made this spectacular campaign possible
- The Strategic Tourism Development and Marketing Partnership for Northern Ontario (FedNor, OTMPC and NOHFC) and particularly Steve Bruno (OTMPC) and Nancy Rosset (FedNor) who really have gone over and above for the City of Thunder Bay.
- Ontario Parks (http://www.ontarioparks.com/)
- Nikon Canada (http://www.nikon.ca)
- Gary and Joanie McGuffin, who have become dear friends of mine over the course of planning this adventure (http://www.garyandjoaniemcguffin.com/)
- Westjet (http://www.westjet.com/)
- Northwest Airlines (http://www.nwa.com/)
- The Valhalla Inn (http://www.valhallainn.com/)
- Wilderness North (http://www.wildernessnorth.com/)
- SailSuperior.com (http://www.sailsuperior.com/)
- Caribou Restaurant (http://www.caribourestaurant.com/)
- Enterprise Car Rental (http://www.enterpriserentacar.ca/)
- Fort William Historical Park (http://www.fwhp.ca/)
- The Thunder Bay Country Market (and in particular Cornell Farms and Stanton's Chocolate Cow) (http://www.thunderbaycountrymarket.com/)
- Masala Grille (http://www.masalagrille.com/)
- Gear Up for Outdoors (http://www.gear-up.com/)
- Chaltrek and Ostrom Outdoors (http://www.ostromoutdoors.com/)
- Bob and Nancy Hansen, our additional guides for the project, ensuring all of the participants are well taken care of.
- All of the local, regional and national outdoor retailers who helped promote the contest through their stores.
- Local media that helped share the good news.
We're looking forward to a 2009 version of Seven Days With the Giant campaign. We'll keep you posted as it rolls out.